Thursday, February 4, 2010

Paint, Paper, Scissors and Glue

"To have all your work and to have them along the wall, it's like walking in with no clothes on. It's terrible."-Andrew Wyeth

I'm getting pretty excited about my upcoming collage exhibition. Excited and a little nervous. Although I am looking forward to showing my collages for the first time, I'm also concerned about the public response. Most people who know my artwork know me as an oil painter, primarily as a painter of horses. I have been making collages regularly for the past year or so, and generally the response from the people who have seen these new works has been positive. But a solo exhibition of only collages? Will people love it? Hate it? Or simply be indifferent to it? I just don't know. I do know this though, I have greatly enjoyed making the collages. I can only hope that some of my pleasure in making them is transferred to the viewer.
Mauve Iris -painted paper collage mounted on canvas, 24X20 ©Alyson Champ

The above image is the last of my large scale floral collages. Yes, I am still very much hooked on the phthalocyanine blue and quinacridone blue/violet. Below is a recently completed collage of the same dimensions and similar palette, but with a slightly different subject. I have been trying to come up with a suitable name for it. For now it is called Tranquil.

Tranquil- painted paper collage mounted on canvas, 24x20 ©Alyson Champ

The invitations to the vernissage will be in the mail soon and I have just seen the lay out for the poster, which looks very nice. I will post more details about the exhibition closer to its March 14th opening date.

No comments:

Post a Comment