Monday, March 15, 2010

The Day After the Afternoon Before


My collage exhibition opened at Salle Alfred-Langevin yesterday. In spite of the rather wet and dreary weather, the turn out was good, the crowd was very enthusiastic, and sales were brisk (thank you!). One woman, a fellow artist, liked the collages so much that she went home to get her husband, came back with him and did the tour again!
So, I guess that my fear that people would look at the collages and say, "Well, these are ok, but where are all the horse paintings?" was completely unfounded. If anything, I was pleasantly surprised by just how open minded people were. Yes, I was asked if I had completely given up oil painting- I haven't, I'm just on oil painting hiatus- but by and large the audience was accepting and encouraging. Several pieces sold, including one of the large Iris collages. All in all, it was a very good day.

These are some of my collages on the walls at Salle Alfred-Langvin. I must mention the real stars of the photo which are the spectacular stained glass windows designed by Detlef Gotzens, a stained glass artist whose atelier is across the river from mine.
Here is a slightly different view. You can see what a large and beautiful space the hall is. Painter Suzanne Olivier, who is a member of the hall's management committee, did a terrific job of hanging the show. It's a good thing that that particular task wasn't left up to me! Merci Suzanne!
And last but by no means least, here is a photo of Luc and me. Luc De Tremmerie is the coordinator of cultural events at Salle Alfred-Langevin, which means that he's the one who really does all the work. Luc, je ne sais pas comment te remercier...

2 comments:

  1. A great success: the collages seem to have the same intensity of colour as the stained glass - they practically glow. The Salle Alfred-Langvin is a wonderful exhibition space. A beautiful and interesting show, featuring wonderful subjects and a funky medium. Everyone I talked to loved the work... I certainly did! Congrats and keep up the 'fun' stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! Thanks so much for coming to the show. I'm sorry I didn't have more time to spend with you, but it is always such a treat to see you and the kids. The space is a nice place to exhibit, isn't it? I was a little intimidated by the size of the room. I thought I had so much work to display when it was all crammed into my house, but once I got it to the Hall, well, it didn't seem like much at all!
    People did seem to enjoy the work. The comments I received were really positive, so that is very encouraging. Pretty good sales, too!

    ReplyDelete