Friday, July 2, 2010

Summertime, and the Living Isn't Easy

We don't grow cotton here in St. Crazy but the soybeans in our front field are looking pretty good, and I'm sure if I were to take a stroll down to the river I could probably see some fish jumpin'. The problem is... I just don't have time!
It must be a holdover over from the many years I spent as a student that my brain is still governed by the academic calendar. The New Year begins in September, not January, and summer is a time for those other three R's: Recreation, Relaxation, and Rest. Of course, this totally doesn't jibe with the farming calendar which begins to get busy in the spring with the arrival of lambs and continues to get ever busier as we progress into summer. We've done vaccinations, castrations, deworming, and tail docking. We've brought in new laying hens, but haven't yet (ahem) 'dispatched' some of the old laying hens, and soon we'll be getting our broiler chicks and Guineas. We've re-fenced the chicken run, turned and planted the garden, stacked next winter's fire wood, are currently in the process of cleaning and refurbishing the barn, and soon we will have to put in hay and straw. All the while, of course, we do the regular feeding, tending, cleaning and WEEDING. O Lord, let us not forget the weeding.
Our more or less weed-free veg garden

I'm not really complaining. Our lifestyle is a matter of choice, and there really is something very satisfying about putting in a good solid day's work. And speaking of work...

What's on the Easel

In spite of all the other labour, yes, I continue to work in the studio most days, and there actually is something on the easel! I have, I'm proud to say, just finished my first collage landscape.
This drawing for Port Daniel Lighthouse I have already posted back when the collage was in its planning phase. Here is the finished work:

Port Daniel Lighthouse- 20x24 painted paper collage on panel, © 2010 Alyson Champ

I'll get my rest and recreation in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment