Thursday, September 16, 2010

You Gotta Know When to Hold 'em

One of the toughest parts of being involved in any kind of creative work is knowing when something is finished. Rarely do I realise my artistic vision so completely that there is no doubt. Once in a while, I'll call something completed when I can no longer stand to look at it. Most times though, I have to live with a piece for a little while before I can really sign off.

I was working on a large, ambitious collage recently and thought I had finished it, yet there was something about the piece that left me uneasy; I didn't really feel I had accomplished visually what I had set out to do. I wasn't happy with it, but I didn't know why. So I decided to set it aside for awhile- this after having heralded the collage's imminent arrival on my Facebook Fan Page. That will teach me. The fat lady wasn't in fact ready to sing; she was merely clearing her throat.

I had the collage set up on an easel in our downstairs hall, a very central part of our house. This forced me to look at the thing, confront it, examine its flaws throughout the day, everyday, for a couple of weeks. That did the trick. Eventually I worked out what the problem was and how to fix it. It took some tough love and a little "renovation" work, but now it really is finished- finished and soon to be up on display at Salle Alfred-Langevin in Huntingdon as my contribution to the local collective exhibition for the Journées de la culture. The vernissage is Friday, September 24th at 5:00 pm. If you are in the area, come and check out the show.
Last Light, Ormstown- 24X30 painted paper and fabric collage on canvas
©2010 Alyson Champ

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Alyson. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!


    Art is never finished, only abandoned.
    Leonardo da Vinci

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful piece. I love the blues and oranges together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I really had to fight with that particular collage, and it didn't quite turn out the way I had imagined it would. Sometimes you just have to let go!

    ReplyDelete