Saturday, January 22, 2011

Odds and Ends


It was a funny week here in St. Crazy, both weather-wise and art-wise. The weather was all over the place: we had bitter cold, then above freezing temperatures, sleet, freezing rain, and snow. Now we are back to bitter cold again. Winter in Quebec provides a little something for everyone, I guess.

As for art projects, there was also a little bit of everything. My plan was to continue with my Clothed Dogs series of collages. I was waiting for an opportunity to photograph a friend's mini-Dachshunds in their sweaters but the weather conditions and my schedule were not co operating. I did get as far as photographing one of my own dogs, though. Here is Toby looking smashing in a royal blue, form fitting, little knit number.


Toby in Blue - photo by the artist

With my dogs- in- sweaters plans thwarted for the time being, I shifted my attentions to making the preparatory drawing for a big collage that I had been planning for several months. I was having a good time working on that one until I realised that I wouldn't be able to get beyond the drawing stage. The reason? My big garage/studio does not yet have proper heating (not good when it's -20 degrees C) and my indoor spare bedroom studio lacks adequate workspace to accommodate the large panel. So...what to do?

Happily, mid-week my husband came home with a bag of cast off neckties- a gift from his father (thanks M.) - to add to my Cache of Truly Hideous Neckties, bits and pieces of which regularly appear in my collages. Check out these babies:

Photo by the artist

Now, when you look at these ties, I don't know what comes to your mind, but to me they said, "Rooster!". Lucky for me, I had already made drawings for some rooster collages which hadn't gotten beyond the planning stage, (Hmm...anybody else beginning to notice a pattern here?) which meant that a fair bit of the work was already done. I simply had to get a-gluing. Here is the result:
Rooster - 9"x8" painted paper and fabric collage on panel ©2011 Alyson Champ

There are still some small details on the image to work out, but he is very nearly complete. And, I am pleased to add, he is already sold.


Rooster detail -front end....


...and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment