Thursday, September 29, 2011

You Never Can Tell



Studio Tour 2011 - all photos by the artist (that would be me!)

The 2011 edition of the Hemmingford Studio Tour is now a thing of the past. The signs have been stored for next year, the number of visitors tallied, and no doubt planning for the 2012 Tour will soon begin.

This year, I exhibited my work at Roxham Farm, which is the home studio of watercolourist Susan Heller. Roxham is a delightful place, a real old fashioned farm which dates back to the first half of the nineteenth century, and retains its antique charm.

Roxham Farm

Because I am a self-employed artist and a farmer, I really don't get out much. The weekend of the Tour was a pleasant opportunity to talk with other artists about our different techniques and media, and to chat about the art market. In Sue's barn, I shared wall space with Sue, John Hodges, and Helga Sermat.


Watercolours by John Hodges (in frame) and Susan Heller, along with some wool for sale.




Helga hanging her cards .


More of Helga's colour pencil work.




Some of my set up.





And some ducks.

The Tour was also an opportunity for me to see people I almost never get to see or haven't seen in years, and also the chance to meet all kinds of new people. You never know who will come out to a studio tour; it really takes all sorts. Of course there were some artists come to check us out, and I met some local farmers and people from the area, some Montrealers out for a day in the country, and a few Americans. I also met a statuesque,blond, Swedish masseuse (and her dog), and a man who had built a trebuchet. Yes a trebuchet: a forty foot high medieval siege engine capable of hurling a three hundred pound weight a distance of six hundred feet. Now, that's your winner right there, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment