Friday, February 24, 2012

I'd Like to Be Under the Sea

When I was a small child, back in the days of vinyl records and naugahyde sofas, Ringo's song, "Octopus's Garden", was one of my all time favourites. There was just something about the idea of being able to live underwater, to swim around with the fishes in a shimmering undersea garden of rocks and coral that was naturally appealing to a child. I guess that childish notion has remained buried somewhere in my subconscious because last year when I started seeing lots of underwater photos popping up on my friends' Facebook pages, I was drawn to them immediately. The beautiful blues, strange lights and shadows, the sense of weightless exuberance of kids and adults swimming underwater got me hooked. I knew exactly what I wanted to do: a series of underwater collages!

Below is the first effort. Thanks to my cousins Mike and Elaine for the use of their family vacation photos.


Mara Underwater - 20"x 24" painted paper collage on panel, ©2012 Alyson Champ


I'm putting the word out: If anyone has some underwater digital photos and you don't mind them being used as reference material for artwork, send 'em along to me. I am always on the look out for more ideas and inspiration. You can email me here under contact in the website menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment