Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Have We Any Wool?

Yes, lots more than three bags full- probably more like twenty!

The lambs were shorn yesterday, and I got twelve pretty fleeces off them. Including the ones from when the ewes were shorn back in the spring, we have a lot of fleeces to clean and send off to be milled into roving.

The lambs all look pretty silly with their new haircuts, and the really funny thing is that they no longer recognize each other, so ever since the shearer left there has been a lot of baa-ing.

A couple of the lambs have figured out that minus their wool coats they can now squeeze through the space between the gate and the gatepost.   I found this guy on the lawn outside my studio.


Here is a selection of the raw fleece colours. I think they are lovely, and the raw wool is incredibly soft to the touch.


Black Border-Leicester- Blue Faced Leicester cross

Blue Faced Leicester - Jacob (and unknown) cross

Blue Faced Leicester

Hand spinning wool is the closet thing I have to a hobby. I like to work at my wheel in the winter when labour on the farm slows down a bit and it's too cold to do much outdoors. At least, I liked to spin wool until a certain cat chewed up the drive band on my spinning wheel. Yes, I'm talking about you, Kevin. Oh, and by the way, Kevin is a girl...which is kind of a long story. I must remember to get that drive band replaced before winter!



Doesn't she look pleased with herself?

No comments:

Post a Comment